In case you all haven’t figured it out, I have a mild obsession with electronics as well. I don’t remember if I posted about buying the Kindle HD, but I do own one. However, I did not find it very rewarding when it came to reading, which is what I planned to use it for anyway. Later I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and I must say I love every part of it! I’ve had my Paperwhite for a little over a month now. I just dropped it this week and it got a few scratches. They aren’t bad scratches, but I would rather it not have any! I’m pretty bummed about that, but I ordered a protective case for it that should be arriving soon.
The Kindle Paperwhite is an awesome device for those who only want to read for many reasons!
- It doesn’t have the of glare the Kindle Fire while reading in direct sunlight (reading outside) and it’s a lot lighter.
- The battery life is said to last for two weeks, but I haven’t had that experience (maybe because I keep the backlight on). I think one would need to keep the light on very low or off to get the best out of the two week battery life Amazon says it is capable of achieving.
- It is easily transportable. I read a few people saying they are able to fit it in their pockets. I do no believe it is that small for me, but it fits in my purse without a problem which means I can take it everywhere I go.
- It is lightweight! I can read for hours. This is a huge plus. After reading on my iPad and Kindle Fire I can truly appreciate the Paperwhite in this area. No aching wrists!
- The black and white is beautiful! I do wish the letters would be more bold, though.
Where there is pros, cons will soon follow…
- What I sometimes find dissatisfying about the Paperwhite is that the pages load slow and you can see parts of the last page on the current page you’re reading. I think the only people who will get this are those who have used the ink readers instead of electronic.
- Another gripe I have about it that is more annoying than the page not fully refreshing is I can easily lose my place while reading! I mean, I can be in a totally different chapter at a simple touch and I find myself going to the chapter outline to find the correct chapter then waste time finding my place. That happens more often than I’d like!
- I do not think the battery is capable of lasting for two weeks. I’ve tried keeping it on very low light or off, but that doesn’t work. I still find myself charging it once a week. I don’t think anyone bought the Paperwhite to not use the backlight! And using the backlight uses up your battery life. *sigh* I wish I had a better solution for this.
All in all, the Kindle Paperwhite is an awesome device for avid readers. Its small size, light weight, and barely there glare in direct sunlight easily puts it as one of the best eReaders I’ve ever owned.
If you have a Kindle Paperwhite, tell me about your experience with it! If you would like to purchase a one and I did not cover your questions, please ask in the comment box!